It is not just the story, but the illustrations in this book that my children and I find delightful. Tom's large, soft, soulful eyes and rumpled appearance make him irresistable.
It's the night before Tom's first day at school and like many young children he is worried about what the morning will bring. But magic is in the air, and in the middle of the night, Tom joins his favourite toy, Small, on an exciting adventure that reveals just how much fun school is going to be.The school room is bright, colourful and inviting and Tom discovers he will have his own peg and drawer and place to sit.
One of the loveliest things about this story is that both the theme, and the setting will be very familiar to many young children. They may even have some of the same toys as Tom!
A great story for pre-schoolers and infants alike.
Discussion and Activities
- Are you worried about anything at school? If so, what worries you?
- Did Tom really shrink down to Small's size, or was it just a dream?
- If you could go on an adventure with your favourite toy, where would you go and how would you get there?
Other great books by Clara Vulliamy
- The Bear with the Sticky Paws
- Martha and the Bunny Brothers
- Muffin and the Birthday Surprise
Clara has a wonderful new website full of fun things to do. You can find it here:
Follow Clara on Twitter: @claravulliamy